To be honest, I didn't use pita bread as the crust. I went to Henry's and bought small pita crust sized whole wheat thin pizza crust. However, because you can't find this outside of Henry's, I decided to edit the recipe for pita bread. For toppings, you can use any toppings. I will write in my topping mixtures that I used. Enjoy!
· Five pita bread pieces
· Pizza sauce: in a bowl, mix 1/3 cup tomato sauce, 2/3 cup tomato paste, 2 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp dried crushed basil, 1 tsp oregano (or marjoram, the sweeter smelling sibling of oregano), and 1 tsp Italian seasoning
· Shredded mozzarella cheese (I actually just bought a big block of mozzarella cheese and shredded it myself. If I had to estimate, it would be about 1/3 cup of shredded cheese per pizza.)
· Topping Mixture for each pizza (remember to multiply by 5 when groceries shopping): 8 – 10 thin garlic slices, 1.5 thinly sliced cremini mushrooms, 1/8th thinly sliced medium onion, ¼ thinly sliced tomato rounds, 8 – 10 small pineapple chunks, a handful of small chicken thigh chunks, and 3 freshly chopped basil leaves.
Garlic Cheesy Bread Materials:
· 1/2 loaf French bread (the large cheap one at supermarkets – I bought mine at Henry’s for $1.49)
· 2 tbsp butter
· 2 tsp Italian seasoning
· 2 tsp garlic salt
· 3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
· ½ cup + 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese (I just cut out thin slices from my big block of cheese and covered the bread slices.)
· Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
· Add 2.5 tbsp pizza sauce and spread evenly on pita bread
· Sprinkle on the cheese (about 1/3 cup)
· Add in order: garlic slices, tomato rounds, mushroom slices, onion, pineapple chunks, chicken, and lastly basil leaves
· Place pizza in a flat pan and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until cheese is melted, chicken is fully cooked, and pita crust is crunchy.
· While pizzas are baking, in another pan, cut the French loaf lengthwise into halves. Spread with butter. Evenly sprinkle on the garlic salt and Italian seasoning and coarsely chopped garlic on top. Add the cheese to evenly coat the top of the toast. Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.