Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chè Trứng Gà Trà Gừng (Ginger-Egg-Tea Dessert)


I don't know how to beautifully translate Chè to English. Chè is a whole class of Vietnamese dessert; Wikipedia defines it as "any traditional Vietnamese sweet dessert soup or pudding." However, I don't think the description is fully accurate and it definitely does not emphasize how delectable this class of dessert actually is.
This specific Chè brings back memories of me in eating this dessert at midnight in Vietnam when I was little.This one is one of the easiest Chè to prepare. It is semi-comparable to the Chinese Tea Egg, but oh so different.
*This is not my picture! My friends have been complaining that the lack of pictures make them sad, so I found it randomly on the internet, and it is as close as I can get to the dessert I make. Mine is less dark and I leave whole ginger slices in there.

Chè Trứng Gà Trà Gừng (Ginger-Egg-Tea Dessert)
Savor. Devour.

Materials:

· 3 eggs

· 2 tsp jasmine tea leaves (or substitute for black tea if you do not have jasmine)

· 1” knob ginger, sliced into thin slices

· 1.5 tbsp sugar

· 2 cups water

Procedures:

· In a pot, boil the water and put in the tea leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Seive out the tea leaves.

· In a separate pot, add enough water to boil 3 eggs. When water is boiling, add eggs and let boil for 10 minutes. Take out, run under cool water, and peel.

· Add the tea to a pot; add sugar and mix to dissolve. Add ginger and eggs and let boil on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until the egg is a nice brown color. Taste the soup and add sugar as desired.

· Serve while hot. The ginger is there for flavor, not really for eating. You can choose to leave this out while serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment